Thursday, February 23, 2012

What everyone THINKS they know about Russia...

Before I came here, everyone told me about so many things to expect about the wonderful country of Russia. I heard about how backward and rude Russians are, how ugly the people are.. countless other myths that everyone claims to know about Russia. Well, I am here to tell you what is true and what is completely false about this wonderful country. Tuesday I will have been here for one month, so you can pretty much consider me a pro in all things Russia.

Myth #1: Russian men are unattractive. FALSE!!!!! This is the most false of anything people tried to prepare me for at home. The men here are not hideous whatsoever, in fact they are quite good-looking. Are you a fan of the rugged, manly man? Well then, Russia is the place for you! Sorry all you American boys, but Russian men make all of you look like wimps. I was extremely surprised and was not prepared to meet such good-looking men. They're EVERYWHERE!! I'm always taken back by how attracted I am to these men, it was completely unexpected.

Myth #2: Russian women are beautiful. This myth is 100% accurate and very much true. The women are gorgeous! Really, all the people here are extremely attractive. And, they remain good looking (well, for the most part) as they get older. It's like the cold preserves their age or something. Seriously though, the women are gorgeous, along with the men. They have such beautiful eyes and skin complexion, and are just attractive all around.

Myth #3: Russians drink all the time. This is not false, but it's not entirely true, either. People are drunk quite often, but I wouldn't say that they're always drinking. I have seen my own fair share of vodka and many drunk people in the city, especially on weekends. Oh, and the older men smell strongly of vodka and cigarette smoke. Standing close to an older man on the metro or subway is difficult; their smell is extremely strong and I have to force myself not to throw up when I get a great giant whiff.

Myth #4: Russians are rude and cold. From my experience with the Russian people, I would have to say that this is false. At first, the people seem to be very hard and rude, but they open up to us and are friendly. There definitely is the "Russian face", but they warm up and smile their golden toothless grins.

Myth #5: Russian food is disgusting. I guess this is a matter of preference, but I would have to say this is FALSE. Of everything new and unique I have tried here, there is only one thing that I hate. One whole month of food I've never eaten before, and there is only ONE thing I cannot eat? That's a pretty good record! The only thing I won't eat is buckwheat, it is terrible. Let me just tell you about the food. We have porridge (delicious!!!) for breakfast every morning, potatoes, rice, pasta, meat, sausage, soup, cabbage, bread, and pastries on a very regular basis. I love it! Dill is used in everything, so it's a good thing I don't mind it! I love borsch and blini and every dish I've had so far (except for buckwheat).

Myth #6: Russians hate Americans. I am still not certain if this is true or false yet. People are pretty dang nice to us, but maybe we've just had the good fortune to only run into the super sweet and not-too-crazy Russians (because believe me, there still are some crazy ones we've ran into). We try to be safe when we're in the city and not be too loud and obnoxious, something that is surprisingly rather difficult to do. I never realized how hard it would be to try and blend in, we kind of suck at it. Whether the people hate Americans or not, they all love America and would do anything to get to the wonderful land, including marry one of us. Oh, Russia. :)

Myth #7: Russian women like to show a lot of skin. I know it's freezing, but this is so very, very true. I am quite astounded by how short these skirts are and the lack of layers underneath. Oh, and the short skirts and other skin-bearing whatnot starts pretty young; I am shocked by how short the girls' skirts are at the junior high we live at. Apparently there is no such thing as a dress code here, and everyone lives by the phrase: "If you got it, flaunt it!"

Myth #8: Russia is cold. True, true, TRUE!!! Actually, false. It is FREEZING!!!!!! Being indoors is fine, but the moment you walk outside it is absolutely freezing. I hate the cold and I will be fine if I never see snow again as soon as I return home.

These are all the myths I can think of at the present moment, but if you can think of anything else just add it in a comment and I will let you know if it is true or false! I love Russia and I can't believe I've been here for 4 weeks already.. the time is flying and I'll be back in Utah before I know it. Time, please slow down! I'm enjoying myself immensely and am incredibly happy to be here.

Dasvidanye! :)

1 comment:

  1. Um Rauni, I love you. You are one of my favorite people and I loved this post! It was so funny and informative!

    ReplyDelete